Pinterest

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Month 2 Final

(Again, you can see the pictures and such here: Mateba MTR-8)

(If you forgot what this looked like back in Month 0, look here!)

I like guns, I like guns that are really weird, I like guns that are a pain to model, and would you look at that this one checks off all the boxes. Mateba MTR-8, a sport gun that was made for shooting at stationary targets on a field quickly. You could also use it to shoot at people but you'd probably have a harder time with that, especially if you miss. With 8 shots you have a little bit of leeway though so maybe it's not too bad, has this been used in a game/war though? I doubt it, hell I haven't seen much of this gun at all in the 3D world, just a few projects for early artists like me. Enough rambling though here's some Sketchfab links


Now don't tell anyone this, but this was actually the concept for how guns would look in a game I've been mulling over in my head for a while now, and I decided to go for it, but I don't think it worked out too well.


Anyway, there's a lot to be learned from this project the next time I do a gun, maybe in the material work, maybe in the presentation, maybe in the modeling. Nevertheless this is a cool revolver that I loved to look at, and that I want to come back to later for some rigging and animation work. Here's some pictures from the art station.




Click or RMB+View Image or whatever to see them in their full size.

Here's my workflow for hard surface objects at this time

Maya for base mesh and placement
--> Edge Loops for shape and then smoothing for high poly
--> Substance Painter for baking and texturing

Wow so simple, how was this not done in 2 days? Because I am an idiot and wanted to go an extra mile or two with my modeling, leading to the third shot you see there with everything torn apart. This means that you can pull my model apart piece by piece and render it all out from any angle, something that I decided sort of last minute and then spent a lot of time figuring out. That being said there are a few things missing since it was made for that last shot, not being pulled apart accurately since this is just a prop and would never be pulled apart like that for any reason, it's just pretty to look at.

Zbrush has a new modeling application with r7 I want to say, my friends tell me it would make my hard surface modeling much better but I frankly have very little experience with Zbrush at the moment. I may have to entertain the idea of using Zbrush exclusively for a new gun at some point. Oh, to dream about future projects.

That's about it for this one, there are comment sections and chat programs for any questions there are about this. Let's move on to the last month.

No comments:

Post a Comment