Pinterest

Thursday, July 7, 2016

Month 3 Final

(Almost done, post here: Beauty in Decay)

(This might be a little strange, but here's what Month 3 looked like back in Month 0)

No, before you ask you are seeing right, this is not a white N64 controller, this is nothing at all like a N64 controller. Somewhere along the way I got it in my head to do an environment instead of a prop again, so I chose this at the last possible second and began work. HO LEE HECK was this a crazy challenge to do in a month for me. In terms of models there are very few, a door, a chair, a weird thing propped against the wall, but the level layout in Unreal gave me no end of problems. Foliage alone would have taken me a month to figure out let alone figure out while getting this thing modeled and put together in time. Had I done this with a blockout like the rest I think it would have looked a lot closer to the reference, but I don't think I did too bad. Enough rambling though, here it is.


You know the drill.

So what are you looking at here, well it's pretty simple actually, just a hallway of a random mental hospital somewhere in the UK. Fun fact I was going to recycle this hallway into the ArtStation challenge that was going on at the time but school + Challenge really don't mix well, especially for someone who doesn't know the ropes that well yet. Lets talk environment workflow.

Build pieces and get idea of placement in Maya
--> Export/Import pieces into UE4
--> Figure out placing, camera, early lighting
--> Tweak the post processing
--> Add lights, particles, etc. for the final look

Lots of ups and downs with an environment in my opinion. I enjoy the process of making and placing everything where it needs to be, learned a lot about UV's for this stuff here, the hard part comes from getting it all to work out together. That being said, it isn't what I spent most of my time on, all of time went to figuring out Foliage and Lighting. (foliage was abandoned as you can see in the photo) The light in the reference is "impossible" to achieve with natural lighting, so I changed it to be natural and added some light rays and particle effects to spice it up. Looking back it might seem like a cheap way to make it look "good" but for a hallway done in a month I didn't really have time for something fancier. If only it got a blockout month, I guess. Walls could use a new material, maybe wood or something?

No comments:

Post a Comment